Saturday, August 27, 2011

5 Strand Braided Headband!

I was shopping at Target the other day, and found a woven headband made of fabric. Instead of spending a fortune on it, I decided to make one myself!

You will need:
  • 1 old T-Shirt
  • 3 small pieces of scrap fabric
  • Fabric Fuse
First, I found an old T-Shirt that I did not wear anymore

I cut 5 strands of fabric off of the bottom of the T-Shirt, stacked the strands together, and then sowed one straight line over all five of them to connect them


Once This was done, I laid the strands out on the table putting 3 on one side, and 2 on the other


To begin your weave you want to take the very first strand (furthest to the left) and place it over top of the second strand (the one right next to it)






Next I took the 3rd strand (the one exactly in the middle of all 5) and placed it over the 2nd strand (the one directly to the left of the middle one)



Once this is completed take the 3rd strand (the one in the middle of all 5) and move it to the right side with the two strands that you have not used yet.


You are going to do the exact same thing on this side. You will first take the 5th strand (the strand all the way to the right) and place it over top of the 4th strand (the strand directly to the left of it)

Next you will take the 3rd strand ( the one in the middle of all 5 strands) and place it over the 4th strand (the strand directly right)





Once this is done take the Third strand back over the the left side and keep repeating until your weave is complete!




Once this was done I sewed both sides of the headband together


I then cut a very small piece of fabric out of the old t-shirt, wrapped it around the sewn part, and then added 3 stitches to keep the piece on the headband. This gave it a very clean look

You can stop here, or you can keep going and add a flower like I did!

I found this link:
Flower cut out
I printed and the cut the flowers out. I placed them over top of my scrap fabric, traced, and then cut them out again
I cut two of the large flowers, and one of the smaller flower. I then used fabric fuse to put all three flowers on top of each other like this:
Once all three were on top of each other, I cut a very small hole in the middle, and put a craft clip in to give the flower a center




Then, using the clip, I placed and clipped the flower onto the headband, and WA-LA a trendy new headband with a little bit of flare!





No comments:

Post a Comment